Wolverines produce two Eagles!
John,
Some days life just makes you want to put your head through a wall. But every now and then there are moments that remind you why you live the way you live and reward you for it. Today is one of those days. Two of my Wolverines passed their Eagle Boards this evening.
Some days life just makes you want to put your head through a wall. But every now and then there are moments that remind you why you live the way you live and reward you for it. Today is one of those days. Two of my Wolverines passed their Eagle Boards this evening.
Ryan Turner, a proud Scoutmaster, and Jemesa Snuka:
It may not seem like such a big thing to most, but it is huge for these two young men as well as for me.
I can't put into words what it is I'm feeling right now. It has been a roller coaster of emotions this evening.
Our district had 11 young men certify for Eagle this evening. The boys were instructed to bring two escorts along with their parents. They started the meeting in the chapel of a local ward building. Each boy, his parents and escorts were assigned to a row in the chapel. The boys sat on the stage and were given the opportunity to introduce themselves, their parents, and their escorts as well as briefly explain their Eagle Project and relates a memorable experience from their Scouting career.
From there the boy, his parents and the escorts from the row behind them went to a preassigned room for the Board of Review. The parents introduce their son to the two new escorts and the district scout rep who would conduct the Board of Review. Then the parents are asked to wait in the hall.
I just sat there looking at the door my son was behind and two doors down that Jemesa was behind. It gave me about 20 minutes to think about all the other boards of rank advancement both those boys had previously been through. Even though I know they will pass (because these boys have been prepped over and over again) it still gets my stomach in knots for each and every boy I've ever presented for review. I don't know why I let it get to me, but it's been almost three years now and it never gets any easier. Every time I send a boy in I wonder if I've done everything I can to prepare him properly. Luckily they've never let me down.
They both looked very nervous when they came out for the Board to discuss their case. Then back in they went for the results. But when they came back out you could see all the way back to their second molars because the smiles were so big. Obviously they passed. It was so awesome to witness.
The Wolverines' first two Eagle Scouts!
Jemesa Snuka and Ryan Turner
Board Certified for Rank of Eagle Scout. March 11, 2010.
Jemesa Snuka and Ryan Turner
Board Certified for Rank of Eagle Scout. March 11, 2010.
Well, I've got a hike to prepare for tomorrow.
With that in mind, good night.


What a fantastic accomplishment for you all. Contratulations! I remember Brady going through that process...it's amazing, however, I wasn't the scoutmaster going through it with him...just his mom. But I have to say, that I don't think I have known anyone like you. You have the heart beat of the boys and they are a big part of your heart, and you can certainly see that - that's why when they were reorganizing the young men's program, I held my breath because we didn't want to lose you. Like I said to you before...even down to my 9 year-old who hopes to have you someday...was concerned. Thank you for all that you do. Thank you for being you and for showing that side and big heart of yours. You are the best!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to Ryan (and to you)! Well deserved. I don't know whether to be excited or scared for Brandon to start scouting in August...
ReplyDeleteProud of you, all 3!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteI can think of no greater contibution to the world then you are being such a positive influence to the youth of your ward.