Ryan gets SCUBA certified.

John,

The Teachers Quorum advisor is a SCUBA instructor and has taken the time out of his very busy schedule to get the boys in the quorum (as well as the bishop and the other advisor) certified.  Their plan is to go to Catalina Island to SCUBA this June for their superactivity.  I've been asked to go along as a rescue diver and to take some pics along the way.

The boys have all gone through the same requirements that any adult is expected to do.  Having been through three levels of SCUBA myself, and having seen how many different people react during that training, I can say that our boys have done better than many adults I've trained with.

Classwork first

Then pool work

Then you get to go to the lake to certify for your open-water level certification.

The boys were all fairly reserved the first week we went to the lake.  It is dark and the visibility was very, very poor.  The underwater pics that show up in this blog have been edited quite a bit to make them viewable.  It was hard for them to see, cumbersome wearing the full wetsuits, and colder than they ever expected.  However, not a whiner amongst the group of them.  I can't say the same about some of the groups that I have personally trained with.  SCUBA is awesome, but it's not for everyone.  Like anything else, you've got to work at it in order to get the payoff.

Most of the diving looked like this.  Even the edited pic doesn't make it look fun.

Brad Clayton, the instructor, with Ryan at 25 feet in Lake (not so) Pleasant.

I'm very much looking forward to getting over to Catalina to dive with the boys.  The temperatures (66 degrees F) will be similar to the lake, but the visibility should be significantly better, along with a fair amount of wildlife.  Based on the attitude of the boys at the lake, I know they are going to absolutely love diving in the ocean.

With that in mind, good night.

Comments

  1. Wow, scuba diving doesn't look so great here, but after being in some really clear water and seeing beautiful fish at the Red Sea, I totally wish I could become certified. Unfortunately, can't submerge my head (perforated eardrums), so I will never get to live out that dream.

    Congratulations Ryan!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How the Swords are made

A Room full of Wolverines and One Harris Hawk