Wolverines Snow Camp 2011
This will most likely be a yearly event. Last year we camped in the front yard of a friend's cabin in Flagstaff. That was a lot of fun, especially with the hills for sledding in the neighborhood. However, the cabin was a "safety" that I don't want the boys to get used to. With that in mind, we ventured out into the wild this time.
I didn't really know where to go. Kind of winging it this trip. Tried to go back to where we did Scout camp last year, but the entrance was fully cut off by plowed snow. So we searched for a plowed side road and cruised down Young Rd just west of Forest Lakes, AZ. We found a side road from there that is closed six months of the year due to snow and pulled off there to set up camp.
We got there about 8 at night. The side road was plowed about 50 feet in to allow for people to turn around. About 100 yards from the turnoff was a gate that we decided to set camp up next to. I figured since it was late and the boys had been good about not complaining of the late hour that I would drive the 4x4 truck down to the gate to let them unload rather than carry it all through the two-foot deep snow. I got down OK, but getting out was not so easy. I didn't have chains and didn't anticipate the snow being so soft. So I got stuck. Tried to turn around to at least be facing forward to try to get back up the modest incline, but the best I could do was get lined up straight ... backward. I was going to have to back it up. We spent about fifteen minutes trying to back it up, but only made it about ten feet! This was no good. I told the boys to set up camp and we would try again in the morning.
Since we ate dinner in Payson at Taco Bell, the boys were good to go with getting camp set up and a fire as well. (Austin got a "high-five" from a cute 14ish blonde because she liked his BYU baseball cap. We now salute Taco Bell in Payson in honor of the moment.) Temps were already around 32 degrees when we started to light the fire. I'm huge on lighting campfires the old-fashioned way. "Scout water" is for sissies, except when it's 32 degrees out. So, a little fuel, a quick flame and instant fire!
I got the boys set up with some hot chocolate and then started digging out the tires of my truck. I got down to the dirt road and dug out tire tracks for about 50 feet. Curtis helped with that as well. My hope was to get enough traction for a running start up the hill the next morning.
Sat around the camp fire telling stories and stupid jokes while the temps dropped and the wind picked up. I finally went to bed around 11:30 just to add weight to the tent so that it didn't blow away. Temps got down to about 20 degrees by morning.
First thing the next morning was to liberate the truck. Three of the boys (Kolby Lester, Curtis Lunt, and Austin Turner) and Bro Jeff Goff pushed on the front end of the truck while I backed it up in 4x4 low. The plan worked out just as I had hoped. They helped push me onto the dug-out tracks, I caught traction, and shot right up the hill in reverse. Now I owe them dinner since I didn't have to get a tow truck. Trust me, worth every penny.
The boys were awesome. Of course they admitted to being cold during the night, but no whining about it at all. It was a good experience. Hopefully they learned a few things to either avoid in the future, or be able to overcome if they get into a pinch with the weather. The thing I like is that they seriously "cowboy up" when a situation arises. That makes me proud.
With that in mind, good night.
I didn't really know where to go. Kind of winging it this trip. Tried to go back to where we did Scout camp last year, but the entrance was fully cut off by plowed snow. So we searched for a plowed side road and cruised down Young Rd just west of Forest Lakes, AZ. We found a side road from there that is closed six months of the year due to snow and pulled off there to set up camp.
We got there about 8 at night. The side road was plowed about 50 feet in to allow for people to turn around. About 100 yards from the turnoff was a gate that we decided to set camp up next to. I figured since it was late and the boys had been good about not complaining of the late hour that I would drive the 4x4 truck down to the gate to let them unload rather than carry it all through the two-foot deep snow. I got down OK, but getting out was not so easy. I didn't have chains and didn't anticipate the snow being so soft. So I got stuck. Tried to turn around to at least be facing forward to try to get back up the modest incline, but the best I could do was get lined up straight ... backward. I was going to have to back it up. We spent about fifteen minutes trying to back it up, but only made it about ten feet! This was no good. I told the boys to set up camp and we would try again in the morning.
Since we ate dinner in Payson at Taco Bell, the boys were good to go with getting camp set up and a fire as well. (Austin got a "high-five" from a cute 14ish blonde because she liked his BYU baseball cap. We now salute Taco Bell in Payson in honor of the moment.) Temps were already around 32 degrees when we started to light the fire. I'm huge on lighting campfires the old-fashioned way. "Scout water" is for sissies, except when it's 32 degrees out. So, a little fuel, a quick flame and instant fire!
I got the boys set up with some hot chocolate and then started digging out the tires of my truck. I got down to the dirt road and dug out tire tracks for about 50 feet. Curtis helped with that as well. My hope was to get enough traction for a running start up the hill the next morning.
Sat around the camp fire telling stories and stupid jokes while the temps dropped and the wind picked up. I finally went to bed around 11:30 just to add weight to the tent so that it didn't blow away. Temps got down to about 20 degrees by morning.
First thing the next morning was to liberate the truck. Three of the boys (Kolby Lester, Curtis Lunt, and Austin Turner) and Bro Jeff Goff pushed on the front end of the truck while I backed it up in 4x4 low. The plan worked out just as I had hoped. They helped push me onto the dug-out tracks, I caught traction, and shot right up the hill in reverse. Now I owe them dinner since I didn't have to get a tow truck. Trust me, worth every penny.
Our little snow camp in Jan 2011.
Austin Turner, Preston Bollwinkel, Jeff Goff, Kolby Lester, Zak Rackey, and Curtis Lunt.
My 12 year-old nephew is standing up the hill from me here, but he still is just an inch or so shy of my height. Who said he could get this big this fast?!?
Position of the truck just before we got it back up the hill. Next time I'm bringing snow chains!
The boys were awesome. Of course they admitted to being cold during the night, but no whining about it at all. It was a good experience. Hopefully they learned a few things to either avoid in the future, or be able to overcome if they get into a pinch with the weather. The thing I like is that they seriously "cowboy up" when a situation arises. That makes me proud.
With that in mind, good night.




I am so proud of your efforts in behalf of these young men. You are wonderful.
ReplyDelete