The Brothers Snuka, Duty to God, and the Sons of Helaman

It has been about four and a half years since I was called to be what I call the "Head Deacon Wrangler."  You see, the title of "Scoutmaster" only covers part of my job description and the title of "Deacons' Quorum Adviser" covers the rest.  Neither fully describes what I do.  In many wards, the callings are separate.  But to a certain extent I see them as one and the same. The higher-ups don't really appreciate my self-appointed title of "Head Deacon Wrangler," but what are they going to do?  Pay me less?  Add more hours?  Fire me?!?  The way I see it, as long as I exceed their expectations, I can call myself whatever I want!

While the Scouting side of the calling has been interesting and exciting, it is the spiritual side of the calling that I thrive on.  Everything I do in Scouting is geared to support spiritual goals for the boys, specifically mission, marriage, and fatherhood.  The church has a program called the Duty to God program. (Hit the link to see what that's got to do with swords.)  I started off with 10 swords when I came on board.  I gave away the 9th of those original 10 swords today.  It was to the younger brother of the boy to whom I gave the first sword to.  Meet the Snuka brothers:  Jemesa and Onias.

Jemesa Snuka in Jan 2010.        Onias Snuka in Dec 2011

Working with these two brothers has been an amazing experience for me.
Obviously they made me work.  I started off fat and lazy.
 Now I'm a lean, mean, Deacon Wrangling machine!

The reason I highlight these two young men today is because Onias recently turned 14 years old and moved out of my group onto the next to be with his brother, Jemesa, for a few weeks before Jemesa turns 16 and continues on himself.  These two are examples of what the rest of my tenure will be.  They represent brothers, who have both attained the rank of Eagle as well as earn their swords.  I have many young men who have completed my program and are eager to move on to more responsibility.  Before I am done, I will have many brothers complete their Eagle rank as well as earn their swords.

Here are a few other young men to have earned their swords (and most their Eagles as well!):

Valiant Wolverines who have proven their Duty to God

Now, for those of you who are keeping track, you may be wondering how Onias can have the 9th sword when only 8 are pictured above.  The answer is simple -- the first sword is mine.  I have never asked any of my boys to do anything I was not willing to do (or have done) myself.  The requirements for them to receive their swords, I did myself before any of them did.

My sword was the first.  Pictured with the handmade wood-core scabbard I made myself, adorned with a Duty to God medallion.  Each boy who earns a sword has the opportunity to earn a handmade wood-core scabbard at age 16 and a Duty to God medallion at age 18 as well.

Over the years, all of these young men have earned military-style call signs.  I originally called them Mountain Man names, but later started calling them call signs.  Once the boys got their call signs, I made military dog tags for them as a keepsake and part of our uniform.  My nephew displays his below:

Austin "Wakeboard" Turner

Some other examples of call signs within the Wolverine organization:

Bear Snack, Nimrod, the Spleen, Cactus Jack, Sly Dog, Phantom, Stealth, Snowman, DaVinci, Aqua-man, Banshee, Air Raid, Avalanche, Gigabyte, Wipeout, Samurai, Wakeboard, Airborne, Iron Chef, and last (but not least) Animal.

Each name has a specific story or meaning behind it.  Each one is very important to me.  Each one is unique in every way.

Only very recently have I actually taken a call sign for myself.  Actually, I wear two dog tags.  One with the call sign the boys know me as, and one that I aspire to be like.  The name the boys know me as probably shouldn't be said in polite company.  But the name I aspire to be is "Helaman."  Most of you know the story of Helaman and his band of young warriors who, "were men true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted.  Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before Him." I would like to think my little band of stripling warriors are on that same path.  It is my quest to someday be worthy of the name "Helaman." As for the Sons of Helaman ... they are your sons, but they will always (in my heart) be my boys.

With that in mind, goodnight.

Comments

  1. Tom-
    The impact of your vision for these boys will be significant for years to come, and will be immeasurable. We are indebted to you for your ability to project into the future and see these boys as men, Melchizedek Priesthood holders, missionaries, and fathers. I have been, and will continue to be, grateful for you, and in awe of your dedication to magnifying your calling. It is unlike anyone I have ever witnessed.
    Dale Lunt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How the Swords are made

A Room full of Wolverines and One Harris Hawk