Eagle Scout Court of Honor: April 18, 2010
John,
I told you about the Eagle Board of Review that a couple of my boys (one of whom is my son) had a few weeks ago. This past Sunday evening they were two of four young men from our ward that had their Eagle Court of Honor.
Jemesa and Ryan on the left with DJ and Spencer on the right
of the Highland High School JROTC Color Guard.
Award kit for the Eagle Scout, as well as a statue provided by the ward.
Bishop Lunt with Ryan Turner and Parents.
Brad Clayton and Tom Turner with Jemesa Snuka and Parents.
The meeting was about an hour and twenty minutes long, which was long, but not too bad when you think about it being held for four young men. The mayor was there as well as a state senator. It was quite an honor for all of them. Even I got an honor, or rather two honors.
In 2004 they added a "Mentor" pin to the Eagle kit. There is a mother's pin, a father's pin and a mentor's pin. They started doing it in the last ten or fifteen years. I was not aware of the mentor pin when I was given my first one 2005. It was quite a surprise to me at that time. Vikki made sure I was at the Court of Honor for a young man in my last ward that I had spent a lot of time working with to finish up his Eagle. I was in the bishopric at the time when I was helping, but not an actual scoutmaster. Now I have a total of three, as well as a father's pin.
Four pins: two on my suit and two on my uniform.
Of course I am happy with the honor these three young men have shown me on a day that is supposed to be all about them. But truth be told, I mostly just proud of the type of individual that they have become. It is a hard job to be a scoutmaster. Often more work than when I was a bishop's counselor. But in the end it is rewarding. I'm indeed grateful for the opportunities I've been given to associate with such fine young men.
And with that in mind, good night.



Comments
Post a Comment